Monday, February 18, 2013

Coconut and Triposha (1st February 2013)

 I told the kids yesterday that I do love coconut drink. They said that they usually climb coconut and mango trees but they would be scolded if auntie in Sarana found out. It is dangerous but they are so active and brave. In the morning, one of the girls climb a short coconut tree and I get a chance to taste it. Yumm it tastes good and refreshing! Drinking coconut water is a highlight over the summer.


Ruwani is climbing the coconut tree :) 

Fresh coconut drink :9

Cutting open the rock-hard coconut


By the end of today I find out that triposha is actually made from corn. I ask them where do they get them from. However they say that triposha is not available in the supermarket. It is given free from the government to small children who are underweight and nutrition- deprived, and to pregnant women. Sarana girls home is one exception; they get frequent supply of triposha for free. Triposha is a yellowish powder form. We mix it with sugar and smoothly grinded/sliced coconut according to taste, coupled with a bit of salt water. Then pour hot water, mix well and make a round- shape out of it. I do enjoy eating it and I have never tasted anything like that before. They give me some packets so I can show them to my parents and colleagues.

Triposha and grinded coconut

mixed with sugar, salt water and hot water


And I take quite a number of pictures today- in the nunnery nearby and around Sarana girls home. Two girls dress up and enthusiastically dance lightning up the mood; I appreciate that and feel very thankful.

Temple

with Ruwani

with Piumi

with Nadeeka
Hanzi and Dipika

Hanzi, Sanduni, Sewandi, Dipika


No comments: