Monday, February 18, 2013

How are you (15th January 2013)


I wake up at 6.40 am, as I was told that I have to be ready for breakfast by 7 am. I had quite a nice shower; it seems like an old school to wash without a shower head. I have to get the tap water into a large bucket, and use a small bucket to pour the water all over my body to wash. The female monks give me a huge breakfast full of starchy dishes, they are very nice and show me some places inside. I was even invited to watch a video- kids dancing in a school festival. Two girls form Sarana pick me up, but they can’t really understand basic English. However still, I am a bit relieved that they understand some (well, extremely limited) English vocabs, or else I really have no idea of how to efficiently communicate with them. I guess body language won’t help much if this is the case. The 2 girls are Ruwani (17), and Saumia (18). There are only these 2 girls, and others are going to school. Around 2pm, all the orphans finally gathered and we have a nice lunch together. They eat using right- hand, while I am given a spoon as I am not used to eating with hands.

After that I have a great time with these kids. I teach them how to greet people for the first time by asking 'How are you', and answering 'I'm fine, thank you' through a song. I learn how to dance to Sinhala and Tamil songs, although this body of mine is too stiff to follow their beautiful movements. I also learn a lot of Sinhalese language from them, which is really a challenge to commit all to memory. The ‘dancer’ team consists of Saumia (18), Sashini (16), Sanduni(17), Hanzi (14), Dipika (16). Ruwani (17) sets up the tape; she has a unique interest such as mechanic. It is highlight of the day that Hanzi and Dipika have a hilarious style of dancing- very energetic, funny and creative. Hanzi dreams of becoming a dancing teacher, I believe she will do well. Saumia Dipika and Ruwani want to be a nurse, Sashini wants to be a doctor, and Sanduni wants to be a political teacher. Some other girls are a bit shy and I will try to get close to them overtime. The sad thing is I can’t use the internet as there is hardly a good network inside the temple.

Sashini, Tanuja, Saumia, Dipika, Sanduni, Hanzi

Me (Tharu) and Ruwani
Oh! And one more thing! The girls give me a Sri Lankan name: ‘Tharu’, which means ‘stars’. They are really sweet and lovely. Thank you girls for giving me such a beautiful name. J

No comments: