Monday, February 18, 2013

Grammar, Ice cream treat and Unique culture! (31st January 2013)


I introduce past continuous tense and simple present tense to some of the girls who are still waiting for their O level results thus they apparently do not go to school. In the afternoon, we have the same routine- rice with carbs and vegetables. Strangely I grind quite a number of stones for lunch today. Probably because the aunt who usually cooks is currently under the weather, and thus the responsibility is replaced to another woman who rarely cooks. Then I decide to go to ‘Family Super’ to buy some packets of tea (Sri Lanka is proud of their tea industry), ice cream and other snacks for the kids. Once I get back home, they seem very happy with the chocolate ice cream they seldom had.

At night, some of the girls come to my room and we chat about stuff. Language is one barrier I have to admit; but these girls do know some vocabulary so there are ways to communicate- gestures, facial expression, mime, etc. I am very surprised that by the end of our conversation, I can comprehend what they are trying to convey. In Sri Lanka, they refer to girls who have started menstruation as ‘Big Girls’. They usually celebrate this by giving gifts- earrings, new clothes, new stationery, etc. Moreover they are supposed to have a party but the girls in Sarana house can not afford to have one. In addition, I am flabbergasted to hear that for one week after their first menses, they can neither go to school nor be seen by boys. They are supposed to stay at home and are not permitted to face a mirror. Instead they use water with white flowers to see their own face. Furthermore, they can not eat any types of meat for one week. They have a very unique cultural belief. J

No comments: